Available 7 Days A Week

(800) 435-7542


Learn the Facts About Supplemental Security Income in California

If you are disabled and are having trouble making ends meet, SSI might be the solution you have been looking for. Filing a disability claim can be complicated and confusing. Keep reading to learn the facts about this program and the types of claims you might be eligible to make. Then contact PLBH at (800) 435-7542 to speak to an attorney today.

The Social Security Administration’s Disability Claims Administration Types

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is available to handicapped people under the age of 65. Before a claim is taken into account, a claimant’s assets must not exceed $2000 for individuals and $3000 for couples, excluding their primary residence, any essential vehicles, etc. Benefits are based on income adjustment. Medicaid is available to those who qualify for SSI.

Children’s SSI

If a family has a disabled and they fulfill the qualifications for poverty, the child may be eligible for SSI benefits. The criteria for determining whether a kid is permanently disabled are different from those for adults and are typically more difficult to fulfill.

Disabled Insured Workers’ Claim

A disability program for people who have worked sufficiently to qualify for “insured status” under the Social Security System is called DIWC (Disabled Insured Worker’s Claim). A worker must have worked more than five out of the previous ten years in order to be eligible for disability (as measured in quarters of years). It is not necessary to file before work credits expire, but the applicant must be determined handicapped before the expiration of work credits. Medicare is provided to anyone who qualify for insured disability benefits.

Disability-Insured Widow’s/Claim Widower’s (DIWW)

To make this kind of claim, a person must be 50 years old, be determined to be disabled, and have been married to someone who was an insured person at the time of that person’s death. Within seven years of their spouse’s passing, the widow or widower must also develop a disability.

When the spouse receives benefits on behalf of children, there are specific restrictions that extend the 7-year period so that it doesn’t begin until the children are adults. The disabled person must have been married to the dead spouse for seven years if the deceased spouse had previously divorced them. The widow or widower does not need to be deemed handicapped if they are 60 years old or older and fulfill the other standards.

Disabled Adult Child

A child of an insured worker who is determined to be handicapped before the age of 22 may be eligible for payments under the DAC (Disabled Adult Child) program (or found to have become disabled before age 22 if he or she applies later). The parent of the kid must have passed away while covered by insurance or become handicapped while receiving benefits. If a DAC who is receiving benefits marries someone who is not also receiving insured disability benefits, they will forfeit their benefits.